. Butternut Black Bean Burgers | Best Recipe

Butternut Black Bean Burgers

ats
tgh
First off, these are totally veggie burgers. I was forced to leave the veggie bit out of the title because I suffer from severe AA. Alliteration Addiction: it’s legit, Google it. No wait don’t, I’m totally lying. But I’d never lie about food; these burgers are borderline bitc– oh gosh, maybe I really DO have AA!

Secondly, I totally have spinach on my finger in the above photo and while it’s making me positively twitchy to look at it, I can’t photoshop veggies out of my photos. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.

Lastly, I ate these so fast I’m fairly certain I stopped breathing for the entire duration of this butternut black bean burger. After that first glorious bite it became imperative that I smash that sandwich into my face as fast as possible. I really need to work on my speed eating issues, huh? I’ll tackle it right after I figure out how to nix that pesky AA.

Phew! I feel so much better! Now that my dirty laundry has been aired, let’s eat!



Ingredients

  • 1 flax egg* or 1 large egg
  • 1 cup black beans, mashed (refried black beans work too!)
  • 1 cup pureed butternut squash**
  • 1/3 cup diced onion
  • 1/3 cup diced celery
  • 2 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
  • 1 TBSP olive oil (or butter)
  • 3/4 tsp salt-free Italian seasoning blend (like mrs. dash)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley (or fresh if you have it!)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)

THE TOPPINGS:

  • 4 burger buns (I used a bakery poppy seed onion bun - amazing!)
  • 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
  • romaine lettuce
  • fresh baby spinach
  • mayo (store-bought or homemade) mixed with sriracha chili sauce


* For a flax egg you'll need 1 TBSP ground flax + 3 TBSP water

** Feel free to use canned butternut puree or simply roast/cook your squash and mash away! This is also a great use for leftover holiday sides so pumpkin, butternut, and sweet potato purees will all work here!

Instructions

  • Whisk together 1 TBSP ground flax with 3 TBSP water and pop it in the fridge to set.
  • Next mash black beans in a large bowl and set aside. Alternatively you can use refried black beans, I've made it both ways! Measure to ensure you have a cup and you're good to go.
  • Add your butternut squash to the beans and set aside.
  • Next saute onion, celery, and garlic in olive oil until tender and near-translucent, adding the minced garlic towards the end to prevent burning.
  • Season the veggies with your Italian seasoning blend, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and parsley and stir to coat.






bwh