. Greek Spring Soup | Best Recipe

Greek Spring Soup

ats
tgh
I’ve been absent. This is the longest I’ve gone, since I started my blog nearly 2 years ago, without posting. Those who follow me on Facebook, know that just 2 weeks ago I lost a student of mine in a tragic accident. He was hit by a car while crossing the street with his father.

It knocked the wind out of me. More than I thought it would. I cannot imagine how parents who lose their children cope on a daily basis. He was “my” boy for 6 hours a day, for 120 days. I shouldn’t say this, because teachers aren’t meant to have favorites, but he was my favorite. He was a quiet, gentle soul, with big, dark, sparkling eyes. He was patient, more patient than any five year old I’ve ever known. You might miss him in a crowd, because he didn’t have a ‘big’ personality, he was bright, yet shy and modest.



Greek Spring Soup

Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
25 mins
Total Time
35 mins

Ingredients

  • 6 cups chicken broth homemade or canned
  • 1 1/2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion diced about 3/4 cup
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/3 cup arborio rice
  • 1 large eggs
  • Juice of half of a lemon
  • 1 cup chopped asparagus
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1/2 cup of fresh chopped dill divided
  • Kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • Fresh minced chives for garnish

Instructions

  • In a large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup dill, chicken broth, bay leaf and bring to a boil.
  • Add rice and reduce heat to medium low, and simmer about 10 minutes. Add carrots and asparagus and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, or until rice is cooked and vegetables are tender. Add chicken and continue to simmer on low while preparing egg and lemon juice mixture.
  • Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine egg, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of water.
Full Recipes>>Greek Spring Soup




bwh