. Chewy Chocolate-Espresso Cookies | Best Recipe

Chewy Chocolate-Espresso Cookies

ats
tgh
I got a little carried away and baked about 2,000 cookies.  It was fun, it was for a good cause and I was into it.  Until about the last hundred.  Around the last 100 I hit a lightly floured wall and just got so sick of my recipes.  I was making mostly Chewy Molasses, Mexican Hot Chocolate and Eggnog Snickerdoodles.  And Orange-Cardamom Snowflakes.  Those are all so good, and so pretty.  So I got to dreaming about a way I could put a twist on one of my most dependable recipes.  And these Chewy Chocolate Espresso Cookies are the result.

These have the wonderful, chewy texture and chocolatey flavor of my most-requested Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies.  Plus, the deep flavor of espresso.  They’re a perfect companion for morning coffee or after dinner drinks.  To get a nice, dark coffee flavor I used a packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee.  But I think you could use any instant coffee or espresso powder.  I just happened to have some VIA and know it’s widely available.

But did I mention how easy they are?  No special equipment, just two bowls and a fork. You do not even need a mixer.  Sometimes I just dump everything in one bowl. You can whip up this dough, stick it in the fridge for up to three days, and then bake them whenever. If you have a cookie scoop they will all be the EXACT SAME SIZE, which is great if you like to intimidate others with your baking powers.  I have done an embarrassing amount of research on cookie scoops (quality, volume, gauge) and have found that this Zeroll EZ Disher Size 50 is the way to go.  It makes perfectly sized cookies.  Unlike some other cookie scoops I’ve bought in the past, it doesn’t break after a few uses.  It holds about 1.3 tablespoons of dough, so if you don’t have a scoop and want to measure it out, one tablespoon+one teaspoon of dough (or 23 grams if you have a digital scale) will do it.  Or you can just eyeball it, they’ll pretty much taste and look amazing no matter what.  You can use any #50 cookie scoop, I’ve got details of how to choose the right size cookie scoop and which brand to buy here.



Chewy Chocolate-Espresso Cookies

INGREDIENTS

12 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup cocoa powder I prefer Nestle
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsulphered molasses I like Brer Rabbit Mild Flavor
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1  packets Starbucks Via or 1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2  cup sugar for rolling
Chewy Chocolate Espresso Cookies

INSTRUCTIONS

  • In a large bowl, stir the cocoa and molasses into the warm butter. In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add 1 c. sugar, egg, vanilla extract and Via (or espresso powder) to the butter mixture. Stir dry ingredients into the wet. Cover and chill dough for as little as an hour or up to 3 days.
  • When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into balls (a cookie scoop is great for this), and roll them in the remaining white sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.


bwh