. Grilled Vegetable Gyros | Best Recipe

Grilled Vegetable Gyros

ats
tgh
Delicious vegetarian gyros made with flatbread, hummus (for vegan) or tzatziki sauce, and filled with grilled vegetables make a wonderful Greek-inspired lunch or light dinner. 

Since becoming a vegetarian/pescatarian several years ago, I haven’t missed or craved meat at all. If I want a burger, there are a plethora of veggie burger options with just as much flavor and protein. There is one thing I have missed, however. Gyros. Every year at the local Greek festival I’m reminded of delicious Greek gyros. Maybe it’s my half-Greek heritage, but that soft flatbread with tangy cucumber yogurt sauce that runs down your hand is one of my favorite things ever. I realized recently that I don’t have to miss gyros though – I  can create a vegetarian gyro that is just as tasty as the original. And I did! It’s so simple, that I’m not sure it’s right to even call this a recipe. These vegetarian or vegan gyros are so satisfying and totally cured my gyro craving. Next I’m going to have to try making a vegan tzatziki sauce.



INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 package Middle Eastern flatbread (I used Trader Joe’s)
  • 1/2 cup tzitziki sauce or hummus for vegan
  • 1 Japanese eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick and grilled until tender
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick and grilled until tender
  • 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 Roma tomato, sliced
  • 1 Persian or hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
  • 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
  • 1/2 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

  • Grilled eggplant and zucchini are best warm or at room temperature for this recipe.To grill vegetables, brush with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on a BBQ or grill pan until tender, about 5 minutes per side. The zucchini will cook faster than the eggplant, so don’t overcook it! No one likes mushy zucchini.
  • Spread tzatziki or hummus over flatbreads. Layer one side with eggplant, zucchini, onion, tomato, cucumber, avocado, and garbanzo beans. Fold in half and enjoy! So easy, so tasty!




bwh