. Ultra Fudgy German Chocolate Brownies | Best Recipe

Ultra Fudgy German Chocolate Brownies

ats
tgh
If you look up ‘fudgy’ in the dictionary, these brownies would come up for sure.

I only had tried German Chocolate Cake in college. I suppose my family is incredibly boring in our cake choices and we only ever had chocolate or Funfetti to choose from. When I grew up, it was like a whole new playing field with cake flavors. I know this sounds like I lived in a bunker, knowing only the sprinkles in the Funfetti mix, but I promise I was a member of society, albeit an awkward teenager at that time.

When I had it, I served it for my Food & Culture college class when I was presenting on Germany. I mistakenly thought German Chocolate Cake had to come from Germany. Um, HELLO. But little did I realize that it isn’t German at all. I’m more German than German Chocolate Cake, and I’m barely German. It’s actually very un-German.

Instead, I should have served Black Forest Cake which is German. Although I did give the class braunschwieger. If you don’t know what that is, consider yourself lucky… unless you like hot dogs, because it honestly tastes like hot dogs. My grandma used to give it to me all the time on saltine crackers and I gobbled it up. If I’d known it was liver, I would have balked… but call it ‘hot dogs’ and any kid would flip.



Ultra Fudgy German Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients

FOR BROWNIES:
1 & ¼ cups butter, cubed
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate bars, roughly chopped
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 & ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp instant espresso powder
Pinch salt

FOR COCONUT PECAN FROSTING:
2 cups evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
5 egg yolks
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, cubed
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups shredded coconut

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the edges of the foil over the sides of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
  • In a large microwaveable bowl, melt together the cubed butter, semi-sweet chocolate & bittersweet chocolate on HIGH for 45 seconds. Stir, then heat for another 25-30 seconds or until melted and glossy. Set aside.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla until pale yellow and fluffy, about 1 minute. Pour in the chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Add in the flour, espresso and salt and beat until a soft batter has formed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread in an even layer; batter will be thick.
bwh