. Easy Miso Mushroom Ramen | Best Recipe

Easy Miso Mushroom Ramen

ats
tgh
When did you have your first bowl of ramen?

I remember my grandmother feeding me Oodles of Noodles all the time when I was a kid. I think I’ve mentioned previously the raw hot dog incident? She wasn’t exactly a gourmand.

Looking back I find it kind of hilarious. Who feeds a little kid a pack of instant ramen and calls it a meal? But of course at the time I loved it.

I didn’t have real, authentic ramen until much later. When I was 20 years old I spent a semester studying abroad in London, and my friends and I became totally obsessed with a Japanese noodle bar called Wagamama.

I fell head-over-heels for the springy noodles, the deeply savory broth, the perfect runny egg, and the way you had to eat it with both chopsticks and a spoon, and it was always messy nonetheless.



Easy Miso Mushroom Ramen

Ingredients

1 (.5-ounce) package dried mushrooms (preferably shiitake but any kind will work)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or 2 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon sesame oil)
1 bunch scallions, chopped, whites and greens divided
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons white miso paste
2 packages instant ramen noodles, flavor packets discarded
2-3 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 2 cups)
4 soft cooked eggs (see note)
Sriracha (optional)

Instructions

  • Put the dried mushrooms in large bowl and cover with 4 cups of hot water. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes until the mushrooms have softened. Strain the mixture, reserving the liquid (be sure to avoid any grit at the bottom of the bowl). Coarsely chop the mushrooms.
  • Combine 2 tablespoons of oil (1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon sesame oil, if using) scallion whites, ginger, and garlic in a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch. Heat over medium heat until sizzling and aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, the reconstituted mushrooms, and the fresh mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms have softened and released their liquid, about 5 minutes.

bwh