. Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake | Best Recipe

Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake

ats
tgh
It’s strange, but her birthday and the anniversary of her passing often go by without me having any particularly strong thoughts of her, but on random days I’ll be overwhelmed with thoughts of her. A couple of weeks ago I really didn’t want to go for my long run of the week, but I did, and took a different path than I had taken before. It was a tough run, but at 4.9 miles, I was overcome by the aroma of a lilac bush, and was able to push through to the bitter end of that run.

As I walked the last half mile home to cool down, I was choking back tears, overcome with memories of my grandma. In her backyard was a line of lilac bushes, and the scent of the flowers permeated the air every spring and summer. And that moment and those lilacs just made me feel her presence more than I have in a long while. I knew she was with me and smiling down on me.



Gluten Free Strawberries and Cream Cake

Prep Time  30 mins
Cook Time  20 mins
Total Time    50 mins

The traditional combo of moist cake with sweet, juicy berries, and homemade whipped cream.

Ingredients
For the cake:

  • 2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend (recommended: Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 4 egg white at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt

For the strawberry filling:

  • 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (or more, depending on how sweet your strawberries are)
  • For the whipped cream:
  • 1 pint heavy cream, well chilled
  • ¼ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line three 9 inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
  • Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl and set aside.
  • Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, in a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed.
  • Add egg whites and vanilla and beat for about 30 seconds.
  • Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture, milk, and yogurt. Beat until combined.


bwh