. Vegan Colcannon Soup – My Version of an Irish Classic Dish | Best Recipe

Vegan Colcannon Soup – My Version of an Irish Classic Dish

ats
tgh
I grew up mainly with my Irish side of the family so potatoes were a big part of dinners when we got together. If there were leftover mashed potatoes, my Nana would make them into potato pancakes the next day. Anytime I have some creamy potatoes, I think of my Nana and the good times I’ve shared with her and it makes me so happy.

Lately, though, potatoes have gotten a bad wrap because of the low carb craze. While I agree that sweet potatoes offer a bigger punch nutritionally, it doesn’t hurt to have some regular old potatoes sometimes. I  made some Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes (a mix of cauliflower and mashed potatoes – so good!).

White potatoes, like the russet kind I used in my recipe, are not processed like white bread or pasta, they’re a whole food that contains some vitamins and minerals we need (like potassium and vitamins B6 and C).  So let’s give our friend the potato a chance  – especially in this tasty Vegan Colcannon Soup!



Vegan Colcannon Soup – My Version of an Irish Classic Dish

 Prep Time 10 minutes
 Cook Time 40 minutes
 Total Time 50 minutes

Ingredients

  • 2 TB olive oil
  • 1 small onion , chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic , minced
  • 3 cups vegetable broth/stock
  • 2 cups russet potatoes , peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1.5 cups kale , stems removed and chopped
  • 1/2 cup cashews , soaked for a few hours or in hot water for 10 mins
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Scallions for topping

Instructions

  • Heat oil in large pot. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent (3-5 mins).
  • Add vegetable broth, potatoes, salt and pepper to pot and cook covered on medium until potatoes are fully cooked and are starting to break apart (about 20 mins).
  • While the potatoes are cooking, cashews and water to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.



bwh