. Black Bean Burgers | Best Recipe

Black Bean Burgers

ats
tgh
If you’ve ever tried a black bean burger, you probably didn’t like it. At least for me, every one that I’ve tried I’ve been disappointed. UNTIL NOW! My friend Lauren over at Tastesbetterfromscratch.com told me to try these, and I’m so glad I did! I really really love them. I eat them wrapped in lettuce (which I think is delicious!). The rest of my fam requests buns, so I give them whole wheat buns. I also tried out this Chipotle Mayo. Ok disclaimer, it’s store bought mayo. I think it’s nearly impossible to find mayo that isn’t made with refined oils and one that doesn’t have a million ingredients. Even if it says “made with olive oil” it usually also has canola oil. So…. since I rarely have mayo, I did get the Spectrum Organic Mayo with Olive Oil (Greek yogurt and other substitutes won’t cut it for me). The burger will still be great with out the chipotle mayo or any mayo. Sometimes avocados are just fine. This is a great option for a meatless meal, or if you just need a little more fiber in your diet. OR if you just want a really delicious meal! And remember if you have a big family like mine, you might want to double the recipe!



Black Bean Burgers

Ingredients

For the Burger:
1 (16 ounce) can black beans
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 small onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs I use Plain Panko Bread Crumbs
Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Salt & Pepper, to taste

For the Chipotle Mayo Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise (I used the kind made with olive oil) like Spectrum Mayo
2 chipotle Chilies in adobo sauce
1 Tbsp adobo sauce
2 tsp lime juice
Salt and pepper
Instructions

To make the Burger:

  • Drain liquid from the canned black beans. Place beans in strainer and rinse with water. Pat dry with a paper towel. Place in a large bowl and mash well with a fork.
  • Place the bell pepper, onion and garlic in a food processor and process until finely chopped/pureed. Transfer mixture to a fine strainer to remove the excess water. (Remove as much moisture as you can--if it's too wet, the burger wont hold together as well.)
  • Add the strained vegetable mixture to the bowl with the black beans. Add the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add beaten egg and mix. Stir in bread crumbs. Form mixture into 4 patties.


bwh